I have known that this sermon series was coming up! So, like the straight A student I am, I started reading Matthew ahead of time. It was a quick read. But, I didn’t really get it. And got a little stuck on the beatitudes. Like this first one:
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
What is Jesus talking about here?
What does He mean “blessed are the poor in spirit”?
Like any good millennial I googled blessed! And google said:
- 1.made holy; consecrated.
- a title preceding the name of a dead person considered to have led a holy life, especially a person formally beatified by the Roman Catholic Church.“the Convent of the Blessed Agnes”
synonyms: holy, sacred, hallowed, consecrated, sanctified; More
- used respectfully in reference to a dead person.“a gracious lady of blessed memory“
- endowed with divine favor and protection.“blessed are the meek”
synonyms: favored, fortunate, lucky, privileged, enviable, happy“blessed are the meek”
- bringing pleasure or relief as a welcome contrast to what one has previously experienced.“he half stumbled out of the room up to his bed and blessed, blessed sleep”
- endowed with (a particular quality or attribute).“a beautiful city, steeped in history and blessed with huge sandy beaches”
- 2.informalused in mild expressions of annoyance or exasperation.“there wasn’t a blessed thing anybody could have done”nounplural noun: Blessed; plural noun: blessed
- 1.those who live with God in heaven.
Well that didn’t help.
So, I woke up today really excited about starting this series because I knew that I would finally get some answers!
Here are the sermon videos, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
If you still have questions the next 8 sermons are just on the beatitudes so check back soon, or contact us! We love talking about the Bible even if we don’t have all the answers!